Companies set many policies and procedures in place to limit their risk. For example, they install anti-virus software on computers, provide training to their employees, and maintain their equipment. The goal is to stay as safe as possible and avoid getting sued. This would be enough in a perfect world, but we don’t live in an ideal one. Instead, Mississippi businesses need general liability insurance to help them when an untoward incident strikes. You need your claims paid fast. One misstep can cause a delay, but you can avoid that by working with an experienced brokerage.
6 Mistakes to Avoid When Filing a General Liability Claim
Ensure quicker resolution to claims for general liability insurance in Mississippi when you avoid these mistakes:
- Not knowing what your policy covers. A general liability policy covers injury or damage to third parties and their property. It doesn’t protect your equipment from being damaged at your location. Knowing the difference can save you headaches.
- Failing to contact your insurance agent immediately. Let them know as soon as possible since your memory of the events will be fresh. Some policies may also have a 48-hour notification requirement. The sooner, the better, should be your mantra.
- Failing to document the damage. Aid your insurance adjuster by thoroughly documenting damages with photographs, recording the time and date of the incident, and writing down any conversations.
- Throwing out damaged goods too soon. They are physical evidence reflecting the extent of your loss. It is better to keep it until your adjuster tells you it is okay to throw it out. Don’t forget to keep any receipts you have for temporary repairs.
- Admitting fault. Do not admit fault, as this removes any doubt about the cause of the accident. Many factors are involved when incidents occur, and you can hamper your insurer’s ability to defend you.
- Arguing with your insurance adjuster. It’s a balancing act between cooperating and not automatically accepting everything your insurer says. The better way is to be realistic about what your damaged property is worth. Having clear, well-documented evidence aids this.
Get Help with Your General Liability Insurance in Mississippi
Do everything you can to ensure your claims move through the insurer’s processes smoothly. Talk with your dependable Hawsey Insurance broker whenever you have questions or concerns. We are happy to explain what your policies cover and what they don’t. We are here to help you every step of the way so that you have faster claim payouts. Not only can we support you with general liability insurance, but we carry many different types of business policies to give you the best coverage options possible. Learn more when you contact us today.
Call Hawsey Insurance at 601-856-7707 for a free quote on general liability insurance for your Mississippi business. Feel free to contact us online or make an appointment to stop by our Madison, Jackson, and Southaven, MS offices.