Some businesses need company vehicles to serve their customers. For example, if a florist makes deliveries, they need a van. Sales reps that travel need cars and contractors often use trucks. Each example is a different business operation, but they all have one thing in common—they need commercial auto insurance for their Mississippi ventures. It’s simple to assume all insurance is alike and think that one automobile policy does the same thing as another. However, if you don’t have the correct type of coverage, you may face an expensive problem if you or an employee has an accident on company time in a company vehicle.
5 FAQs About Commercial Auto Coverage
Many questions arise when considering commercial auto insurance, even in Mississippi. Here are five common questions that will help you better understand the merits of having the right coverage:
- How do I know I need commercial auto insurance? It depends. Generally, you’ll need commercial coverage if your business owns a vehicle. Also, if you use your personal vehicle for business purposes, you may not have enough protection through your personal auto insurance policy.
- Does the law require it? You should research your state’s requirements. Currently, 48 states require commercial auto insurance. Only New Hampshire and Virginia do not; however, you may be liable for damages.
- What does this type of policy cover? It typically covers the cost of accidents when your company-owned vehicle is involved. If your company is sued, it helps with medical bills, property damage, and legal expenses. There are different types of additional coverages you can obtain as well.
- How much coverage do I need? States set minimum requirements, including bodily injury, property damage, and uninsured motorist coverage. You can purchase the state’s minimum requirement or speak to your experienced broker about the best coverage limits for your unique needs.
- Do I need commercial coverage if I use my personal vehicle? This gets a little complicated. Commercial auto insurance covers cars owned by a business. Individual auto policies generally do not cover the business use of the insured vehicle. You may consider a hired or non-owned auto insurance policy in this case. An insurance broker can help you understand the difference.
Keep Rolling Down the Road with Commercial Auto Insurance
Don’t leave your company unprotected. Talk with the brokers at Hawsey Insurance. We break down the confusion surrounding commercial auto insurance and we’re happy to review your existing policies and answer any questions you may have. We can provide coverage options for your specific needs at reasonable rates. Drive confident that your company and employees are covered; schedule an appointment with us today.
Call Hawsey Insurance at 601-856-7707 for a free quote on commercial auto insurance for your Mississippi business. Feel free to contact us online or make an appointment to stop by one of our offices in Madison, Jackson, and Southaven, MS.